If you are planning to unveil the mysterious tourist locations or structures in India, you should not forget visiting at one of the most popular world heritage sites called Hampi....
You may have visited various tourist locations, attractions and historical buildings in India, but visiting at Pattadakal can give you a distinct experience. It is a land of various historical structures or monuments. Thus, if you have keen interest in visiting top UNESCO world heritage sites in India, you should not forget visiting at group of monuments at Pattadakal. The World Heritage Site at Pattadakal is situated at Karnataka, India. So, let’s have a detailed look at the history, architecture and cultural value of this world heritage site in India called group of monuments of Pattadakal.
Table of Contents [Quick Links]
- History of Monuments at Pattadakal, Karnataka
- Where Group of Monuments at Pattadakal Are Located?
- Architecture of Ancient Temples at Pattadakal
- Sculptural Art at Group of Monuments at Pattadakal
- Why Group of Monuments at Pattadakal Are Famous?
- Best Time to Visit at Monuments at Pattadakal
- How to Reach at Pattadakal
- Timing to visit at Monuments at Pattadakal
- What Is the Entrance Fee/Charge for Visiting Group of Monuments at Pattadakal?
- Tips for Visitors/Tourists
History of Monuments at Pattadakal, Karnataka
When it comes to unveiling the history of these structures found at Pattadakal, importance of Chalukyan rulers can’t be ignored. They weren’t only king builders, but also great patrons of architecture whose encouragement insisted the then artists, craftsmen and designers to innovate and experiment in various architectural designs or styles to give it a novice dimension. It was the period that focused on creating different types of structures – from structural to rock-cut temples.
Where Group of Monuments at Pattadakal Are Located?
This ancient group of historical monuments is situated at Bijapur district of Indian state of Karnataka. The place is known for Chalukyan architectural works as well as sacred Pattadakisuvolal. The historical temples built here display the blending of famous Nagara, Rekha, Dravida Vimana and Prasada styles of sacred Hindu temples structures.
Architecture of Ancient Temples at Pattadakal
The oldest ancient temple at famous Pattadakal is called Sangamesvara. It was constructed by King Vijayaditya Satyasraya during the end of 7th century. Apart from this giant Hindu temple, there are various other notable sacred temples found at Pattadakal. Some of them are Kadasiddhesvara temple, Jambulingeswara temple and Galaganatha temple. These temples were built during the same period of time. These sacred Hindu structures were constructed keeping the Rekha, Prasada and Mandapa style in mind. The famous Ksivisvesvara temple was considered to be constructed in early Chalukyan dynasty style. Moreover, the sacred Mallikarjuna temple was built by Queen Trilokyamahadevi especially to enjoy the victory over the famous Pallavas by king Vikramaditya-II. The queen was also credited to have constructed the famous Virupaksha temple that resembles the architectural value of famous Kailasnatah temple situated at Kanchipuram. Later, the Virupaksha temple served as a key model for king Krishna-I of Rashtrakuta (757 AD to 783 AD) to depict the grand Kailasa situated at Ellora.
Sculptural Art at Group of Monuments at Pattadakal
The sculptural art of the then Chulukyas is categorized by the delicate and grace details. The famous ceiling panels of sacred dikpalas and navagrahas, the dancing Nataraja, Ardhnarisvara, Lingodbhava, Tripurari, Trivikrama, and Varahavisnu especially bear adequate testimony to the Indian sculptors’ skills and cult worshiping. The ancient sculptures found at various parts of different temples and structures simply depict the importance of ancient Indian architecture.
Why Group of Monuments at Pattadakal Are Famous?
It is an obvious question that may come to the mind of various tourists or visitors planning to unveil the historical value of these mesmerizing monuments at Pattadakal, India. Actually, there are various reasons behind the amazing popularity of this one of the best world heritage sites in India. So, let’s have a detailed insight about the same.
- These historical temples and other structures resemble the architectural taste of the then rulers especially the Chaulanyans.
- By visiting this one of the most visited UNESCO World Heritage Sites in India, tourists can have an insight about ancient Indian architecture.
- If you want to unveil the mystery of Hindu religion, you should not forget visiting these amazing structures.
- By unveiling the architectural value of these ancient Hindu temples, tourists can easily know about how rulers of the then time constructed the beautiful religious structures for masses.
- These monuments simply resemble the amazing ancient architecture, craftsmanship and design when it comes to building amazing structures.
- The Hindu Gods and Goddesses can be seen at various temples found at the site.
- Here, visitors can easily unveil the mythological importance of various Hindu sculptures such as Ramayana and Mahabharata.
Best Time to Visit at Monuments at Pattadakal
From February to March is considered as the best time to visit at Pattadakal. However, visitors may decide to visit this world heritage site throughout the year.
How to Reach at Pattadakal
If you have decided to unveil the beauty of group of monuments at Pattadakal, you can easily reach there by using air, train and road transportation.
Which Is the Nearest Airport to Pattadakal?
Karnataka airport is the nearest airport. Visitors or tourists can easily grab a direct flight from various major airports in the country to one of the nearest airport in Karnataka state, India.
Which Is the Nearest Railway Station at Pattadakal?
Pattadakal railway station is the nearest railway station, which is well connected with all major railway stations in the state. Visitors can easily find out direct train route to visit at Pattadakal.
Visiting at historical monuments at Pattadakal by road can give you a distinct experience. Tourists can easily find out various road transport facilities such as taxis, private cars and government-run buses to reach at the world heritage site.
Timing to visit at Monuments at Pattadakal
- Tourists can visit at the site from sunrise to sunset every day.
What Is the Entrance Fee/Charge for Visiting Group of Monuments at Pattadakal?
- Domestic as well as tourists from SAARC and MIMSTEC countries such as Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Maldives, Myanmar, and Thailand need to pay only INR 30 per individual.
- Visitors or tourists from other Western and European nations need to pay INR 500 per individual as entry fee.
- Children below than the age of 15 don’t need to pay entry fee.
Tips for Visitors/Tourists
- Before leaving home destination, tourists should first confirm their stay-options at Pattadakal. Thus, they should look for affordable budget hotels in and around Pattadakal.
- Tourists need to grab general information about the transportation.
- Before leaving home, tourists should first know about the climate condition at the location.
- If you are visiting this world heritage site first time, you should not forget availing services of a professional tour guide.
- It is better if you look for affordable travel packages in India to save money.