When it comes to visiting top word heritage sites in India, importance of Nalanda University ruins can’t be ignored. However, there are different types of ancient universities found in India,...
From Red Fort in Delhi to Taj Mahal in Agra, Mughal emperors constructed lots of historical buildings, mosques and structures for royal and public use. When it comes to visiting India, importance of visiting various Mughal era buildings, structures and forts can’t be ignored. If you want to witness the beauty of the first planned city established during the Mughal era, you should not forget exploring the beauty of Fatehpur Sikri. It is a fine example of culture, religion, architecture, and historical significances.
Table of Contents [Quick Links]
- Fatehpur Sikri – A World Heritage Site (1986)
- Historical Importance of Fatehpur Sikri
- Fatehpur Sikri during Mughal Era
- Famous Structures of Mughal Era
- Architecture of Historical Buildings in Fatehpur Sikri
- Timing for Fatehpur Sikri
- What Is the Entry Fee/Charge?
- How to Reach Fatehpur Sikri
- Tips on Choosing Travel Plans
Fatehpur Sikri – A World Heritage Site (1986)
If you have keen interest in knowing about top world heritage sites in India, you will surely love visiting Fatehpur Sikri. It is an extension of the famous Vindhyan ranges. It is located on the bank of a big organic lake, which is now dried up. It is considered among the most visited pre-historic site with loads of forest, raw material and abundant of waters. It was considered as the best option for primitive men’s habitation. Tourists can still witness the beauty of rock shelters with amazing paintings. These paintings are still existed on the periphery of current lake. Moreover, there are various Stone Age man-made tools found.
Historical Importance of Fatehpur Sikri
Since it is a pre-historic site, it is mentioned in various Indian historical and mythological books. Even in Mahabharata, the location is mentioned as Saik. Moreover, an inscription discovered on an ancient store sculpture of Jain religion simply resembles the importance of the site. There are various pre-historical sites available here that simply lure visitors or tourists towards them.
Fatehpur Sikri during Mughal Era
However, it is true that the area was always considered as the key site for various prehistoric importances, but it got its real recognition during the Mughal Era. When Babur first visited the area during his Khanwah battle, he constructed a Jal-Mahal over there. He also constructed a step-well and various other buildings. However, only a few building can still be noticed.
Fatehpur Sikri enjoyed its great history during the reign of Emperor Akbar. He was the first Mughal king who decided to move his official work place from Agra to Fatehpur Sikri. From 1572 to 1585, Akbar kept the location at its prime. He did everything for the site to make it a mesmerizing city. This might be a reason why it is considered as the first-planned city developed by Mughal kings. The key reason behind moving to this location is that Akbar wanted to give honor to his the then famous Sufi saint Sheikh Salim Chishti. It was the saint who gave blessings to Akbar to be blessed with a son in 1569. King Akbar did great work for this city. He renamed the city as Fatehabad. However, later Fatehabad changed into Fatehpur Sikri.
Famous Structures of Mughal Era
There are various renowned historical buildings, monuments and forts in the area constructed by Mughal rulers. Some of the most popular historical Mughal institutions established by Akbar are Ibadat Khanah, Tarikh-i-Ilahi, Din-e-Ilahi, Jharokha-Darshan, and various others. Various other notable Mughal era buildings are Jami Masjid, Tomb of famous saint Sheikh Salim Chishti, Buland-Darwazah, Khass Mahal, Panch-Mahal, Shahi-Bazaar, Khwabgah, Diwan-e-aam and Diwan-e-Khaas. It is first city with well-developed sewerage and water plan establishments.
Architecture of Historical Buildings in Fatehpur Sikri
All the aforementioned structures were constructed using red sandstones. They were designed in beam as well as post order. Most of the Mughal buildings in the city were designed using different types of pillars, jharokhas, stones, and ornamental arches. Every building comes with a dome on it. While observing the architecture at Sikri, tourists can be surprised to see the art of ancient artists. Forts, monuments and mosques in the city are fine example of Muslim-Indo architecture. Even today, tourists can feel the touch of the then society, culture, tradition, religion, and political system.
Timing for Fatehpur Sikri
- Visitors can visit here from sunrise to sunset.
What Is the Entry Fee/Charge?
- There are different types of historical buildings, monuments and structures that can be visited. The price for every building is different. However, the main charge for most of the buildings is INR 40 per individual.
- Children below than 15 years of age needn’t to pay fee/charge.
- On Friday, visitors can grab free entry to most of the historical monuments.
- If you want to visit an archaeological museum adjacent to Diwan-e-khaas, you can visit there from 9 AM to 5 PM.
- Friday closed
How to Reach Fatehpur Sikri
It is well-connected with neighboring cities and towns. The best part of visiting Fatehpur Sikri is that visitors can also enjoy visiting Taj Mahal in Agra. So, the city can easily be reached through various transportations.
International visitors can grab direct flight from Delhi to nearby airport in Agra. From the airport, they can easily hire a taxi to reach at Agra. There is no doubt that visiting Agra simply means visiting Fatehpur Sikri.
If you want to reach Fatehpur Sikri without any hurdle, you should look nowhere else but Indian Railway. The nearest railways station is situated in Fatehpur Sikri. Visitors can grab regular direct trains from various parts of the country to Sikri station.
By reaching to Agra, visitors can easily reach at Sikri via buses, taxis and cars. If you want to enjoy road journey, you should not forget visiting Sikri by road.
Tips on Choosing Travel Plans
- First, you are advised to assess your touring requirements and budget.
- You are highly advised that you should choose same-day tour package for Agra and Fatehpur Sikri.
- You need to look for cheap Agra and Fatehpur Sikri tour packages.
- Before leaving your hometown, you should not forget booking a budget hotel in and around the city.
- If you are going to visit the city first-time, you are suggested to hire a professional guide.
- In case of being a foreigner, you should not forget knowing about the rules and regulations while entering into a religious building such as mosques.